mavisol (mavisol) wrote in arted,

question about lithography

I am translating into English (not my native language) an article about a 19th-century artist and I've come across a term which, roughly translated, is "tone lithograph" (this does not mean that this is a widely accepted English phrase - it's just my clumsy translation). Well, I've been told by one of LJ residents:))) that it means a lithograph made with two stones one of which is completely smoooth and covered with paint ("tone") or some such substance. As an example, this kind-hearted fellow posted a picture

My question: is there a standard English phrase for such lithographs? or it's simply "color lithographs"?

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment